Monday, May 18, 2009

So, today. I went to one of the museums that I hadn't intended to go to in  the first place, but apparently it's one of the best with paintings from all kinds of famous artists. Well, it was closed. Monday. So I was really disappointed, but I didn't give up hope completely for my day. I went to the Reina Sofia museum, hoping that it wasn't closed on Monday too. Fortunately, it was open. Also fortunately, it was free! Works included Salvador Dali, Juan Gris, Velasquez, and most importantly, Pablo Picasso. I saw Guernica today. I also saw all of the "studies" or practice sketches leading up to Guernica; it was really nice to see the transformation. I saw a lot of surrealist art today, and i've decided that they were crazy. I have also decided, that absolutely anything can be art. And I mean anything. Your toilet seat. Your comb. The corner of a magazine that you spilt coffee on this morning. Your fifth grade text book. A string of your hair, or your mother's hair, or any hair from anything really. Every single flag of the world. I seriously saw some stuff today that made me go "really???". There was one large frame, and inside was a white square of paper, with a black line of paint about an inch long. And that was it. That was art. Craziness. So anyway, after I spent a good 5 hours there, I went to the botanical gardens. I took 372 pictures, mostly for my mom. Yay for flowers! They were beautiful. I also went to El Retiro, Madrid's large park. After all of that I came back to the hostel and then went and ate supper. Now i'm exhausted and full, and i'll be glad to get some rest and fly out of here tomorrow! See you in Barcelona! (On a side note, I know where the Juan Ripolles display went that was in Plaza del Trifuno in Sevilla...it showed up in El Retiro today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment